What is Aquasoil?
Aquarium soil (or Aquasoil) is soil specially designed to be used in freshwater aquariums. It is usually made from clay-like pellets which are much softer on the roots of aquatic plants than gravel is. It also contains many minerals and other fertilizers to help plants grow and keep the aquarium conditions stable.
Who is it for?
All our plants are easy to grow and as long as you have fish or shrimp in the tank extra nutrients are not necessary. With that said, extra nutrients will definitely help them grow nice and vibrant. We use aquasoil for our planted tanks, mostly for the softness to not damage the plants we grow. We would recommend it for everyone but especially for heavily planted tanks.
Applying the soil:
- Evenly spread un-washed aquasoil over the base of the aquarium.
- Use a scraper or ruler to level the surface, or if desired create gradients.
- Slowly fill your aquarium with water until the water level is about 3-4cm above the soil. This makes planting easier.
- Begin planting your aquarium. Make sure you spray your plants with water until the planting process is completed.
- Once the aquarium is planted, slowly fill your tank to the desired level.
- Power up your filter system and allow the water to clear over the next few hours.
Aquasoil tends to lose its nutrients and water-buffering qualities over time, a good estimate is around 2 years. By then your tank should be well established and replacing the soil isn't really necessary unless you require specific parameters or have advanced plants. Aquasoil is also light and tends to be a little dusty, this means you need to be careful when vacuuming it and the first time you add the soil, you will need to wait for your tank to clear overnight.
If you have any questions or problems feel free to contact us!
All small products, plant or snail orders are $3 flat postage. Very large products, plant or snail orders are $9 tracked postage.
Express is a flat $12 no matter the order size (I will cover any extra for free).
Live Goods and Postage
All live goods are sent with express post for a flat $12. Purchases for the week will be packed and sent SUNDAY - 8pm. All orders placed after that time will be sent on the following Monday.
Please note I cannot guarantee your parcel will arrive on time, however will refund any DOA livestock.
Terms and Conditions
We will refund or replace any livestock that arrives DOA (Dead on Arrival) but cannot guarantee your order will arrive on time since we have no control over the postage service. If you have any issues with your order please let us know.